Sunday, November 26, 2006

 

Szopka Festival


Yet another trip into Hartford, this time for pierogi. I cannot make them if my life depended on it. My dough comes out crappy. Potato/farmers cheese and cabbage pierogies were available. Cabbage is not my favorite, so I ended up with 3 dozen potato and cheese. Prune pączki was tempting, but I resisted.

Szopka Festival

The Szopka Festival features Polish crafts, foods, entertainment and a contest where children and adults create beautiful Cracovian mangers (Szopki). It is interesting to see the displays and vendors st the festival.

Szopka

Some ladies and men were in Polish folk dress. Święty Mikołaj(Saint Nicholas) was there to see the children before his visit to their homes on December 6th.

Święty Mikołaj

We needed Oplatek(Christmas Wafer) for Wigilia (Christmas Eve Dinner.) Going to the festival and listening to kolędy (Polish Christmas carols) has started to get me into the spirit of the season.

Comments:
oh I'd love to hear the Polish Christmas carols :)
 
The carols are very evocative. Some are reminiscent of old English melodies. Though, the piped holiday music -- in stores and elsewhere -- borrows these days from the AMerican repertoire, heavily.
I'll be in Krakow next week, after classes are over -- the shopki on display there are quite similar to the one you posted here. I don't much care for the weather in Poland at this time of the year, but the holiday festivities (and the cheaper airfares) make it a wonderful time to travel back home.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?