Friday, March 09, 2007

 

Hello... Girl


There are things that we all do that are beyond the scope of our job. Sometimes exceptions are made.
Scenario:
An eighteen year old male (developmentally delayed with limited speech) sheepishly grins and says to his mother, "Hello... Girl" implying that he wants to call a girl. It is obvious that he is not physically delayed. My dilemma is it is technically not a mother's job to arrange a phone calls to girl for her son. What to do? He does not have a "girlfriend", but we know that he likes girls. He is insistent, he wants to talk to a girl. My brain races with many thoughts:
Do I do this?
Who could he call?
Should I ?
What happened to calling one of his guy friends?

He is just like any teenage guy. I would not do this from my other sons, but
why should he be deprived of the pleasure of talking to a girl?

Hanging out with the girls.

with the girls

So I succumb to the pressure. I did have to call the mother of a young lady friend of his. She sees him just as a friend, thankfully. He hangs up the telephone and smiles, with the expression "I just talked to a girl." There is nothing that can prepare a parent for a child's desire to expand their relationships.

A few days later he comes home from school with a ring for a "Girl".

ring

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?