Sunday, November 12, 2006

 

Dilemma


Understanding death and losing loved ones is difficult for most of us. But when you are at the level of a four year old and cannot verbalize your questions or concerns, it is even more difficult to help with consolation and understanding. My middle son has had moments of crying since Dziaduiā€™s (grandfather) funeral.

After calling several places, grief counseling for children is usually done in a group situation. I do not think that will help him. He was not that close to Dziadui, so I think his crying is related to not understanding about death and dying. Or maybe he does understand and is concerned about others dying or his dying.

Comments:
We always want to protect our kids from hurt. I found it very liberating to read in a very profound and wonderful book on parenting that it is quite okay to let them cry and to be there to hold and answer questions so that they know that in sadness, there can be warmth. Ultimately, there are no great answers to give because, well, there are no great answers out there.
 
Thanks Nina.
I needed to hear that. I am a tad overprotective when it comes to my middle son, since he has limited speech.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?