Thursday, October 12, 2006

 

Carbohydrates


You cannot change what you do not understand. I had been told before to “cut back on carbs”, but I did not truly comprehend what that meant. It was just a phrase to me, totally undefined.
But now I am beginning to understand about carbs, Reading labels is a new pastime for me. Trying to keep it simple, so I can implement changes.

1 portion = 15 grams
3-4 portions = 45 - 60 grams /meal
9-12 portions = 135 – 180 grams / day

What a package may say on the label is one serving has 36 grams of total carbohydrates. That means that one serving is 2.3 portions.

Simple math. I did not have those tools before. Information was buried in a sea of words. I prefer clear and concise.

What I did not realize is the amount of carbs that I had been ingesting. Can we say carb addict? Okay maybe, maybe not, but changes in my lifestyle are happening. It will be interesting to see the effects of the changes.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?