Saturday, July 29, 2006

 

Super Fresh Zucchini


Garden to table in less than an hour. It was harvested, prepped, baked on the grill and served as a side for our lunchtime meal.They probably could have baked longer on the grill, but we could not wait any longer.

Zucchini Sticks

Our sole zucchini plant is producing nicely. The trick is to harvest the fruit before it turns into a baseball bat. Yes, zucchini is a fruit. Maybe that is why I like it so much.

Years ago, single eight friends took to the road in two cars and headed south to visit Busch Gardens and Williamsburg, Virginia. I was first turned onto zucchini at a restaurant in historic Williamsburg. The heavenly taste still lingers in my brain. Since then all zucchini sticks I have had still have not measured up. Some have come close, but most have not. That is not to say that I did not enjoy them. Last weekend in New Jersey I had some zucchini frittes. They were shoestring thin, batter coated, and a bit too greasy. I think that is why I like the baked sticks better, no grease.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?