Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

English



With all this talk about immigration, one thing keeps coming to my mind. In the past, most of the immigrants had to learn English.

Recently while traveling in CONNECTICUT, there was an electronic sign giving some information. One problem, it was in Spanish. How the heck am I supposed to know what it says? Perhaps it only applied to those that can read Spanish? ? Also, there has been a few times when the only printed material still left in an office was in Spanish, the English was gone. It would save on trees if informational materials only had to be printed in English.

In order to get a badge in Boy Scouts, my son wrote Senator Lieberman about making English the official language. I am still peeved about a response that Senator Lieberman gave. In essence the response was that he didn’t want to offend anyone by making English the official language.

Well I was offended. Most of my family had to learn English, no accommodations were made for them. I am not saying that there should have been, what I am saying is that everyone should learn English. There will be more opportunities for them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?