Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 
Trash Rules

The guys are home. It is time to move out some clutter. Slowly and surely, we are getting rid of things that have overstayed their welcome. Things the boys have out grown. Things we no longer need. Donating, giving things to friends and family, and throwing things in the trash.

Thankfully there are no really big items to get rid of. It used to be if you had bulky items you would call first, then you place the items out on your trash day. Now you have to apply for a permit, pay $35, then you may call to let them know you have a bulk pick-up and then put the items out on your trash day.

I wonder how much dumping is going on. It is getting to be a major production just to get rid of trash. Granted, we do live in a disposable society, which distresses me. I try to live as green as I can, reuse, recycle. I am not perfect, but I do try my best. Perhaps that is how the clutter comes about.

Gaining space, empty space is a wonderful feeling.

Comments:
Our houses are too big. We buy things knowing there's space for them.
This year, when I moved into an apartment I developed a real appreciation for the idea of not having enough space. Now when I travel I no longer want to pick up anything for the house. No more pretty plates and wooden carvings.

I also never want to haul out junk to the curb in large doses again. That was a huge project, not one I want to go through with on a regular basis.

Of course, my "clear and clean spaces" mindset is not shared in my family. And so I keep a storage unit with boxes and boxes of their junk. I would bet anything that no one will touch the stuff for decades. But they cannot let go.

I can. It's all just stuff.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?