Thursday, February 16, 2006

 
Speak softly and carry a big stick

This has been stuck in my brain since I was in high school. In 1900, Theodore Roosevelt wrote to a friend: 'I have always been fond of the West African proverb
: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." '

I have found Big Stick diplomacy to be very effective when dealing with adverse situations. The balance of power shifts when you possess the Big Stick. There is no yelling, name calling, or tantrums, just the statement of the situation and facts. If you have enough information you will be able to present your case softly and firmly. More often than not you will be successful and if you are not successful, you have a backup plan.

Ok I have been slighted, by not having my request to continue a meeting met. I am supposed to be part of the team. However, I received the completed plan. How can that be?

You would think at this stage in the game that the school system would know you don’t mess with this mother. There will be repercussions. But I will not arrive with Vengeance is not in my mind, that is not my goal. My goal is for us create an acceptable plan for my son, in accordance with their policy.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?