Wednesday, February 15, 2006

 
Follow your Heart

At times I am asked, "What is the best advice that I can give to a parent of a child with a disability." My best advice is to "Follow Your Heart." I was reminded of this during a discussion with a dear friend, while we were sharing our experiences with the school over the past few days.

We lamented about that fact that it is and always has been a struggle. First, you must adjust to when your child is found to be different from the rest of the babies in the nursery. Then dealing with healthcare (both doctors and insurance companies), and dealing with the school system. As our children move into adult I am sure that there will be more issues to address, but I did not bring this up in our conversation. Deep in her heart I am sure she knows. Her stint with the school system will be done in 2008, mine in 2009. I reminded her that there is an end and it is in sight.

While we are getting older and somewhat battle weary, we continue to follow our hearts for our children's sake.

As I watch the Olympics, I remind myself that the athletes have chosen their path. The mothers, like me, were assigned their path. In both, the journey is what you make it and how you face it. While I may never win a gold metal, it is putting forth my best that counts.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?