Friday, January 06, 2006

 
When time changes

My neighbor’s mother passed away last week, the wake is tonight, funeral tomorrow. At the funeral home they had thirteen ahead of her, so that is the reason for the delay.

I baked a plate of double chocolate brownies and brought them over. My neighbor had the stunned look. She said that she did not remember much of the past week. The loss of your mother is something that cannot be explained, but it is deeply felt.

Out of habit, you reach for the phone to call your mother. Gone is the opportunity to ask questions. Everything is a blur for a while.

Memories of my mother came flooding back. Her spirit is still with me. She was a determined and honest woman, who deserved more than what she had.

It has been over eight years that she has been gone. I cherish my memories of her. The good time we had; trips to the park to feed the ducks, watching the jets land at the airport, going to Vermont for an ice cream cone.

My mother taught me how to persevere and enjoy the adventure of life.



Comments:
oh to remember one's parents well, with graciousness and pride! You have done it. Such a gift to your mom. Really, such a gift.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?