Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 
Its official, I cannot go back

I grew up surrounded by farmland. Babci had 40 acres, a quarter mile down the road. There was another small farm across the street. The Connecticut River Valley is known for producing the finest wrapper tobacco for cigars. Everyone knew the names of the Tobacco farmers. For four years I came home from work with black tobacco tar glued to my fingers.

Now I have a very small vegetable and flower garden. Clinging to my family roots? Maybe not, because fresh does taste so good. Anyway I digress.

Today I went into a farm store. Country music was piped into the store. It’s been years since I was this kind of store. I was surprised to see the matchbox size toy tractor and attachable plows. Huge farm gates laid waiting for purchase. It was comforting in a way and yet I felt like I didn’t belong there. I could not wait to get out of the store and go someplace that is more suitable to my current lifestyle.

I have been in the suburbs too long to go back. I am more comfortable in the likes of Nordstrom’s, not working in the open field. Nail polish has replaced the black tar. But there was something wholesome about an honest day’s work on a farm.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?