Thursday, December 15, 2005

 
Baby it's cold outside.

This is the second day of awaking to temperatures in the single digits. Running errands requires my sandals be replaced by closed toe shoes. My coat finally makes an appearance, but spends most of the time on the passenger seat of the car. The steering wheel reminds me that I should have worn gloves. Thankfully my car has a great heater and heated seats which warm quickly. All I need is a coffee to take the edge off the brisk cold; simple coffee, the old fashioned type, with sugar and milk. I have found Starbucks to be too bitter for my taste. Simple things are often the best. Run in to the warm stores and back to a car that has been parked facing into the sun.

Briskly walking back to my car, I hear, "Caw, Caw, Caw." Big Black soaring overhead, lands in a tree. "Caw, caw, caw." The call is taunting. "Caw, caw, caw." Another wingspan appears, the two birds are in the same tree. Who is the predator, who is the prey? My presence interrupts the interplay. I depart, leaving Nature to carry on.

tree stage

What are you looking at?

Now a plume of smoke catches my eye, I hope it's not a fire. It is so cold out, and then I see two firemen up in the ladder trucks bucket directing the spray from the hose toward the plume. Apparently three firemen were injured in the apartment house fire. This will make a sad Christmas for many.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?