Tuesday, November 22, 2005

 
The Caretaker

Ah, the many roles we play. I was just getting used to caring for myself. With my son's upcoming surgery, my focus shifted. Figuring out payment for the procedure, how to explain it in terms that he will understand and won't frighten him. Planning out food that he will be able to eat, wondering about his premed. At least he is cleared for surgery.

Doctor Visit

I noticed that my stress level is up. My patience is thin. The balancing act is difficult, I am distracted. I'm not alone in this. I see many mother's with children with disabilities with similar challenges, often placing themselves last on the priority list. You have to let go of something’s in order to address the needs of your child. It is an immense responsibility filled with worry. Am I doing all that I can? Trying to see into the future, to be prepared for what's next; making sure that things are done.

Laughingly our mother's group has taken to calling ourselves "The Mother's from Hell." We gather information, share what's working and what to avoid, keep records, deal with insurance companies and the school system. Things are so simple with our so called "normal" children.


Comments:
Oh boy Nancy, do I relate to that right now! He's such a fighter and will do so well, I know it. Try to find some small ways to take care of yourself a bit ok? Promise? Mom's can give so much more if they're cups are even half full. (((HUGS)))
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?